Bhubaneswar: Tata Power Monday entered into the power distribution business in Odisha with the taking over the management of the CESU.

CESU is the discom that supplies electricity in five circles of Bhubaneswar, Cuttack, Puri, Paradip and Dhenkanal.

Tata Power, India’s largest integrated power utility, has acquired 51% stakes in the discom leaving 49% in the hands of the State-owned bulk supplier Gridco.

As per order issued by the OERC on May 28, this year, Tata Power has to improve and modernise the distribution system in the five circles. The priority of the company is to improve reliability, reduce AT&C losses and offer excellent customer service.As per the agreement, the company will retain all the existing employees of CESU and will govern them by their existing  policy structure. Tata Power will provide better opportunities and facilities to the employees to update their knowledge and skills along with an exposure to best practices and cutting edge technologies as a part of change management in CESU.

Tata Power CEO & MD Praveer Sinha said, “Our tie up with CESU is a huge development for Tata Power. We are thankful to the Odisha Government and OERC for giving us this opportunity. We are committed to provide reliable, affordable and quality power supply along with superior customer service, backed by innovative technology. We constantly strive to become the most preferred distribution company in the country. The success of our Delhi, Mumbai and Ajmer Distribution businesses are testament to this fact.”

Tata Power President -T & D Sanjay Banga said, “Tata Power endeavors to bring about a positive transformation in  Odisha by deploying smart grid technologies to supply reliable and quality power. Our customer-centric approach aims to enhance all aspects of customer services with smooth and efficient power distribution operations.”

Tata Power has received a license for 25 years. Spread over 30,000  Sq km, CESU has five electrical circles comprising of the areas of Bhubaneswar (Electrical Circle – I and II), Cuttack, Paradip and Dhenkanal with a population of over 1.4 crore and consumer base of 2.5 million. With CESU, Tata Power aims to expand its consumer base to 5 million consumers from the present base of 2.5 million across Mumbai, Delhi and Ajmer. The average demand of CESU is around 1,300 MW with the annual input energy of 8,400 MUs (FY 2018).